Time has run out on the regular Google URL shortener, but there are many alternatives to choose from.
Before we get started, let's talk about why you want a URL shortener in the first place.
URLs can be long and unwieldy. By adding a domain name between your address and the posts themselves, you enable people to visit your site without having to comb through a bunch of text. And even if they link directly from something on social media or another external source, it still looks better on their end when that shortened version is available instead of just leaving the full link up for all to see forevermore.
So, what's next? There are dozens upon dozens of alternative options here on this page alone . Can you trust the results to be the same? We've done research of our own on some of the most popular options that are out there, and here they are.
We will talk about 10 alternatives companies to Google's URL shortener company in this article below.
1) Bitly is one of the most popular ways to shorten URLs. Don't worry though, you can choose your own custom shortened links if you don't want anything too spammy or silly out there on your links. You can also track how many times a link has been clicked on, which is really helpful for trying to determine whether or not your content is resonating with people. If you're using Twitter, then you absolutely must use this service because it works directly with the platform.
2) Ow.ly is also a great company, and though it's not necessary for you to use their system with any of your social media profiles, they do offer some nice extra features that might come in handy. You can sign up for an account where you can send out multiple types of content at once (like your blog post plus your email newsletter), track clicks , tag URLs for SEO, and more. They're among the most popular companies trying to take over Google's role as the go-to URL shortener .
3) This service doesn't offer much beyond the ability to shorten URLs, but if all you need is something like that then it will get the job done. One thing you'll love about this service is that they have a WordPress plugin for even easier integration.
4) Check out BitMate if you want to use their services on your WordPress site. They also have plugins available for the most popular blogging platforms, which makes this method of shortening URLs one of the easiest around .
5) This company has been in business since 2008, so they know what they're doing when it comes to providing reliable URL shortening features. There are quite a few different options here, too. For example, you can set up custom URLs , create shareable links, track clicks , and more. You can even choose how long someone can keep hold of your shortened link before it expires (definitely shorten things with expiration dates). Just remember that this is an external company, so you'll need to sign up for their services in order to use them.
6) Trunc.it has the kinds of features that you would expect from a good URL shortener service. You can create unlimited shortened links , track clicks , set up expirations on individual links, and more . If that isn't enough then consider using their API—which stands for application program interface, by the way—for some added functionality.
7) Bitly also offers API access if you want something beyond what the basic plan gets you. The only downside here is that they don't have any WordPress plugins available through which you can easily integrate it into your blog posts. That's really not a big deal though, since the site is easy enough to use.
8) This company offers up all sorts of services, including social media tools and web crawling for indexing content. When it comes to shortening URLs though, you'll like that they give you the ability to create custom shortened links or pick from one of their pre-made link packages (like "tech" or "health").
9) Make your shortened URLs look exactly how you want them with this service's design options. You can even choose whether or not you want an image on your shortened link , specify what kind of landing page pops up once someone clicks on your link (whether it be a static or dynamic option), and more. As an added bonus, just by signing up for this service you can enter into a $500 monthly drawing to win cash prizes.
10) This company seems simple enough, but the cool thing about it is that you can create shortened URLs by just pasting in the original link. The downside is that they don't have any other features available —no tracking, no analytics —nothing like that. You can choose between having your shortened link begin with " http://" and optionally include your message and/or name, and nothing more than that.
That's it for this article! I hope you enjoyed reading it - be sure to leave me some feedback in the comments section down below! If you want to receive email updates whenever there's a new post here at WordImpress, then please enter your email address in the box on the top right hand side of this page and click "Subscribe". I hope you'll come back for more - thanks so much for visiting!
I agree. The Google URL shortener was shut down back in spring 2019, but on the bright side, there are dozens of alternative options out there. On the downside... there are dozens of alternative options out there. How do you know which to choose? __________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Title: 10 URL shorteners to try besides the Google link shortener st plus your email newsletter), track clicks , tag URLs for SEO, and more . They're among the most popular companies trying to take over Google's role as the go-
Top Blog Posts
- Learn HTML in 12 Minutes 4 months ago
- FOCUS ON YOURSELF NOT OTHERS - Best Motivational Speech 2021 6 months ago
- British English Slang [Advanced Pronunciation Practice] - Reductions & Contractions 6 months ago
- How To Build Your URL Short System (Premium URL Shortening Setup) 6 months ago
- Best URL Shortener: Why You Should Shorten Your Links 2 months ago